How's everything going?
This is Kei and Kazuki, founders of Glasp 👋
We hand-picked 3 good articles for you to highlight this week. Hope they'll help you get new ideas and perspectives. (You can read this online!)
📚 3 Good Articles for You
What Happened to the Creator Economy?
by Evan Armstrong (8 mins)
- The creator economy is facing a downturn, with numerous layoffs and potential shutdowns of startups supporting online content creators, primarily due to only the top 1% of creators earning substantial income.
- Investors failed to comprehend the inherent risks of the creator economy, likening it to high-failure sectors like small businesses and media companies, while competition intensifies due to the low barrier to entry.
- Success in the creator economy has largely been confined to niche platforms serving specific needs neglected by larger tech companies, as the expected emergence of a "middle class" of creators did not occur.
The Long Tail: The Internet and the Business of Niche
by Rex Woodbury (8 mins)
- The "long tail" framework illustrates how internet companies like YouTube and Netflix tap into niche markets, with YouTube utilizing user-generated content and Netflix investing heavily in costly productions.
- Platforms like Shopify and Faire apply the long tail concept to commerce, supporting small merchants and using data to improve customer experiences. These platforms often create more jobs indirectly than they employ directly.
- Advancements in content creation tools, like TikTok's For You Page and AI generators, are expected to lengthen the long tail by fostering accessibility and creativity, thus democratizing content creation and commerce.
Will AI Kill Vertical SaaS?
by Rob May (2 mins)
- AI, specifically GPT-4, could significantly reduce software creation costs, potentially causing higher churn rates in SaaS due to lowered switching costs.
- Companies might favor building over buying software as AI tools could simplify and cheapen the development process.
- Lower software creation costs could lead to a surge in smaller, non-venture-backed software companies, resulting in more fragmented markets.
- 🟥 Quotes of the day on YouTube shorts:
We started sharing great quotes through our YouTube channel. Let's learn from great predecessors with us every day 📚
- 🟦 Personalized AI Summary with Glasp Chrome Extension:
Did you know that you can get a personalized summary of the article? You can get it based on your highlights through the Chrome extension.
👀 Featured Curator on Glasp
Boudewijn is the originator of the Direct Path of Inclusive Leadership Development and learns society, psychology, economics, etc. Let’s follow hime and learn together!
Please mention @Glasp and share your profile page on Twitter if you’d like to get featured!
🐣 User’s Hatch
Here’s an insightful hatch by Dennis Serrano
Hatch is a new feature that generates new ideas/articles by finding common points in two articles. Please check here to see how to use it.
We found some people who mentioned Glasp in their articles and blogs, and we appreciate all the kindness!
- Thank you for taking the time to talk to us! Your feedback is insightful and helps us improve the product!
We found that Glasp was featured in the articles below. Thank you for writing about Glasp!
- ChatGPT has an answer to all your questions, but can it do “this”? on Financial Express
Thank you all for sharing and mentioning us on Twitter, LinkedIn, and/or in your blogs 🙂 We appreciate all of your support! Please feel free to ask us anything at any time! Also, feel free to join our Slack community ;)
Hope you enjoyed reading this newsletter!
See you next week ;)
Kei and Kazuki
Quote of The Day: “First, have a definite, clear practical ideal; a goal, an objective. Second, have the necessary means to achieve your ends; wisdom, money, materials, and methods. Third, adjust all your means to that end.” — Aristotle
P.S. We are thinking about accepting newsletter sponsorship. If you are interested, please apply here.
Is Glasp helpful for you?